1. West Ham were about to recreate one of the strangest periods in their recent history by signing up Argentinian Carlos Tevez . He was about to be offered to a rather bizarre return to east London for £150,000 a week. But the 33-year-old wanted £250,000. Co-chairman David Sullivan said: “I thought that was an incredible offer for someone who loves West Ham. And it was a huge gamble for us because he’s 33 now and hasn’t done it in South America.” The expression “dodged a bullet” springs to mind.
2. Diafra Sakho has handed in a transfer request, with West Brom front of the queue to sign up the unsettled striker. The 26-year-old has been in the shop window a while with Sam Allardyce initially keen to take him to Sunderland but the former West Ham boss appears to have gone cool on the deal. There is talk of a £15million fee for the West Midlands club.
3. Sakho’s move has been prompted by West Ham’s wide-ranging search for a striker. Their next mission is to prise Carlos Bacca , 29, from Inter Milan for a fee rumoured to be a figure that could trigger his release clause – £25.4million. The Colombian would fulfil his key function – guaranteeing goals.
4. West Ham may have lost out on the race to sign forward Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon but they may not have seen the last of him. Arsenal are emerging as frontrunners to sign the, er, frontrunner with talk of a £42million fee to give Olivier Giroud – and possibly the Irons defence –the jitters.
5. Young Dutch striker Vincent Janssen is likely to be heading to Spurs. But not before the predatory West Ham tried to scupper the deal by showing interest in the £17million 21-year-old. The east London club plainly have “striker” on Google alert and attempted to steal away the AZ Alkmaar frontman with higher wages – but with no success.
6. Dimitri Payet is still staying. That is the latest reading of the Payet tea leaves. Inter Milan were lining up a £38million for the man heading to the Euro 2016 final but West Ham manager Slaven Bilic said: “I know then that the giant clubs will come but I would love him to stay at West Ham. We have texted each other over the last three weeks and he is happy at the club. He is our player.” Bilic scotched suggestions that he wants Payet to have a bad final so temperatures cool. Most West Ham fans, like clucking parents, just want him home and safe.