West Ham's last game in 2015 at the Boleyn Ground ended on a high as they came back from 1-0 down to beat Southampton 2-1.

The opening 10 minutes saw the Irons dominate proceedings as strikers Enner Valencia and Mauro Zarate, as well as winger Michail Antonio harassed the Saints' defence.

Read more: Why Remi Garde was brave at Aston Villa

However, completely against the run of play, the visitors took the lead as Shane Long’s low cross saw Dusan Tadic burst into the box and prod the ball past Adrian after 13 minutes.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Long was looking to add to his Boxing Day brace against Arsenal and his left footed strike while under pressure from West Ham defensive pair James Collins and Angelo Ogbonna went narrowly wide.

The tables had certainly turned as Ronald Koeman’s men steadied the ship and now the home side's backs were against the wall.

Had it not been for Collins’ block from Saints midfielder Steve Davis, the east Londoners would have been 2-0 down.

Davis had another crack at goal with a drilled effort from just outside the area, which missed the target.

Saints captain Jose Fonte almost scored an identical goal from a couple of days ago against the Gunners but Adrian did much better than Petr Cech and kept out the centre half.

Tadic was denied his second as his swirling effort was well handled by the Spanish shot stopper, which ended a miserable first 45 minutes for the Irons.

In order to overcome the poor first half display, West Ham manager Slaven Bilic introduced Andy Carroll and Manuel Lanzini, who had not played in three weeks because of a groin injury.

Alex Song and Mauro Zarate gave way.

Substitute Carroll then had the Hammers' best chance of the game when he took a wild swing at the ball with his right foot, but the shot blazed over.

Carroll’s header from a James Tomkins cross then fell straight into the hands of Southampton shot stopper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Despite West Ham’s improvement, Southampton pegged them back.

Then a massive stroke of luck brought the game back to level terms through Michail Antonio.

As the former Nottingham Forest winger burst into Southampton’s half he was allegedly tripped by Virgil Van Dijk but midfielder Victor Wanyama’s attempted clearance rebounded off a grounded Antonio and looped over the head of Stekelenburg.

After 78 minutes, West Ham had turned the game, on Monday, December 28, on its head, going up 2-1.

Enner Valencia’s teasing cross found Antonio whose header hit the underside of the crossbar but there was substitute Andy Carroll to notch his second goal of the season.

Southampton couldn’t find a way back and the Hammers sealed their first win since their 2-0 victory against Chelsea back in October.

For more about the club, visit their website here.

West Ham : Adrian, Tomkins, Collins, Ogbonna, Jenkinson; Kouyate, Song (Lanzini, 45), Noble (c), Antonio, Zarate (Carroll, 45), Valencia (Obiang, 81).

Subs Not Used: Randolph, Oxford, Hendrie, Cullen.

Southampton: Stekelenburg, Martina (Yoshida, 70), Van Dijk, Fonte (c), Bertrand, Romeu, Wanyama, Mane (Juanmi, 74), Davis, Tadic (Ramirez, 74), Long

Subs Not Used: Gazzaniga, Caulker, Clasie, Ward-Prowse.

Attendance: 34,977