West Ham halted QPR’s bid for survival by holding them to a 0-0 draw at Loftus Road on Saturday afternoon.

Before the game Sam Allardyce’s men were without an away win in nine – with only bottom club Burnley suffering worse form.

Meanwhile QPR had gained just one point in nine Premier League London derbies in 2014-15 – but have won just over 73% of their games at home this season - a higher proportion than any Premier League club.

On a bright and glorious afternoon in West London, the QPR faithful were ramping up the atmosphere in a must-win game for Chris Ramsey’s men.

QPR came out of the blocks flying and Sandro led an early breakaway. The Brazilian found former Hammer Bobby Zamora whose shot was saved by the feet of Adrian.

The QPR groundsman could be getting some stern words from the likes of Robert Green and Richard Dunne about the over watered pitch. Both players slipped on numerous occasions in dangerous areas of the pitch which could have so easily been costly.

QPR had a marvellous chance to take the lead in the 22nd minute. James Collins’ handball in the area from Bobby Zamora’s shot left referee Mike Jones with no choice but to award the penalty.

The Hoops’ top scorer Charlie Austin took the responsibility but his spot kick was well saved by Adrian.

As just over half an hour passed, the home fans were getting more irate at some of the referee’s decisions after missing that crucial penalty.

West Ham first chance came after 39 minutes. Captain Kevin Nolan’s neat flick to beat Dunne resulted in the midfielder poacher driving his shot straight at Green.

In the second half, Zamora had a decent chance early on to put the visitors in front but the former Fulham forward’s volley was easily handled by Adrian.

Left back Aaron Cresswell fancied his chances but former West Ham shot stopper Green pulled off a superb save.

The hosts were more eager to take the lead and Zamora was the man in the limelight again. Holding off 17-year-old Reece Burke – who was making his Premier League debut – he flashed his shot just over.

Chris Ramsey’s side thought they had taken the lead through captain Joey Barton scrambling the ball home a Matt Phillips corner but referee Mike Jones chalked it off after West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate was fouled.

With 10 minutes remaining Kouyate missed a fantastic opportunity to net his fourth goal of the season. Some good work from Enner Valencia resulted in the Ecuadorian finding the Senegalese in acres of space only to blaze his shot in row Z.

Adrian reacted brilliantly to a fierce Sandro fierce drive late on as QPR desperately searched for that all-important goal.

As the board showed four additional minutes Phillips unleashed a powerful strike from the edge of the area which saw Adrian break out his acrobatics with a fingertip save.

However nothing could split these two teams. The E13 club have now scored just nine goals in the last 10 Premier league games.

QPR: Green, Onuoha, Caulker, Dunne, Hill (Yun Suk-Young, 62); Phillips, Sandro, Barton ©, Henry; Austin, Zamora (Fer, 66).

Subs Not Used: McCarthy, Isla, Wright-Phillips, Kranjcar, Taarabt.

West Ham: Adrian, Jenkinson, Collins, Burke, Cresswell; Kouyate, Noble, Nolan ©, Downing, Jarvis (Cole, 54), Valencia.

Subs Not Used: Jaaskelainen, O’Brien, Oxford, Amalfitano, Poyet, Nene.

Att: 18,036