With a management team that has seen four managers in two years and a team that had slipped into the Championship relegation places almost without a fight, the departure of Guy Luzon from Charlton was a matter of “when” not “if”.
“When” was Saturday (October 24) when the Addicks, for the second time in less than a week, lost 3-0 at the Valley to Brentford.
Charlton for relegation was heavily tipped by the bookies at the start of the season but Guy Luzon, 40, always appeared to have an answer. The Israeli was appointed head coach in January and took the team to 12th place last season.
• Also online: Oh no, not another Duchatelet man
At the beginning of this season there were signs of hope the Addicks have lost seven of their last nine league games and last won in the Championship in late August.
First-team coach David Martane and assistant head coach Damian Matthew have also left the south London club.
The club said : “Given the recent downturn in results and following Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Brentford which leaves the Addicks in 22nd position, the board felt they had to make a change at this time.
“The club would like to thank the trio for their efforts and a further statement will be made in due course.”
Speaking after the game, Luzon was clearly unaware that a decision on his future had been taken. He said: “I will stay positive and prepare my team in the best possible way for the next game and need the players to come in with the same attitude they started with today.
“I am strong in the head and I need my players to continue. I am full of confidence for my squad. I always speak to the president but those conversations are between me and him.”
Luzon now joins Chris Powell, Jose Riga and Bob Peeters who all went since Belgian businessman Roland Duchatelet took over in January 2014.
If a new manager is appointed promptly, they immediately face a challenge. The Addicks face away games at Middlesbrough and MK Dons, before they host Sheffield Wednesday on 7 November.