The Tobacco Dock in Wapping has placed the blame for the Oktoberfest fiasco firmly with the organisers.

In a statement on Saturday (October 10), it said that it was not the numbers nor the nature of the event that caused the problem but on "management and operational systems".

Staffing, said Tobacco Dock, was insufficient and too inexperienced to cope.

Hundreds of revellers were left furious when the opening night of the Oktoberfest event was a shambles and the second day, Friday (October 9) was cancelled just minutes before the doors were due to open. Many had travelled from across the country for the event, out of pocket because of travel expenses.

The statement says: "Tobacco Dock hired space within the venue to Oktoberfest UK Limited for them to run Octoberfest 2015.

"Our operations team issued strict operational and safety guidelines throughout the planning process and were unhappy that, at the opening event last Thursday night, these had not been fully implemented.

• Also online: Oktoberfest in Millwall Park still on

"We were not convinced that the operational changes we required the organiser to make would be able to be put in place by Oktoberfest UK in time for this weekend’s events to run safely and efficiently, and at that point agreed with them that these events should be cancelled.

"The decision was not based on guest numbers nor the nature of the event, both of these were well understood in advance, but on the management and operational systems and insufficient serving staff both in terms of numbers and experience that had been put in place by Oktoberfest UK.

"Oktoberfest UK is solely responsible for dealing with the refund of tickets and any other ticket holder queries."

Organisers of Oktoberfest London have issued a statement advising punters to keep hold of their tickets "and the company will inform all ticket holders of the procedure for claiming a refund as soon as possible".