Fancy owning the space Freddie Mercury, Leo Sayer and Mike Smith would hang out in while brunching with musician and record producer Dave Clark? If you have £15.5million, then maybe you can.
Clark’s Mayfair apartment, which spans the top two floors of the Grade II listed Curzon Cinema building, is up for sale and it has rather a lot of history to offer.
The lead in The Dave Clark Five (who were The Beatles’ biggest rivals) had furniture and blinds from Liberty; a cinema screen-sized television specially imported from America; automatic blinds and noise-activated lights all fitted when he moved in back in 1967.
Between the late 1960s to 1990s the penthouse, which is on sale with Wetherell and Knight Frank, was the venue for numerous rock music, celebrity and social events and Clark was famous for his Sunday brunch parties.
Wetherell chief executive Peter Wetherell said: “This is Mayfair’s finest penthouse available to purchase, and sits on the top two floors of the most illustrious art house cinema in Britain.
“This building is the stuff of Mayfair legend – royalty, film producers, Hollywood stars and celebrities have all flocked to this famous venue and over many decades it has played host to red carpet premieres, celebrity functions and private screenings for people including General Eisenhower.
“Curzon Street is one of Mayfair’s most desirable addresses, on the doorstep of Green Park and Hyde Park and just a short walk from Berkeley Square, Bond Street and Mount Street.”
So what are the stats?
- It has 3,469sq ft floorspace.
- It has a private stairwell and foyer.
- The penthouse enjoys the services of a dedicated 24-hour porterage and security service.
- The entire seventh floor consists of a large marble floored open reception space of more than 1,000sq ft.
- It has a wraparound rooftop terrace offering 360-degree panoramic views across London.
1934: The Curzon was a popular venue for Royal visits, red carpet premieres and high profile celebrity events. In the 1930s it was the local cinema for Buckingham Palace and when King George VI, Queen Elizabeth and the two princesses paid their first ever visit to a cinema two Royal boxes were installed to mark the occasion.
1939: The cinema was closed for refurbishment and, due to the war, it stayed closed and was taken over for army screenings.
1942: It regularly hosted screenings for US General Dwight Eisenhower, who had his headquarters in nearby Grosvenor Square. After the war, the building was returned to Curzon Cinemas.
1964: The original cinema was demolished.
1963-66: The current building by architect Francis Lorne was built with the basement and ground floor containing the cinema and offices on the upper floors.
1967: the offices were converted into five luxurious apartments and Clark purchased the two flats on the sixth and top seventh floors and converted them into a single duplex penthouse.