One of the victims from the 1996 Docklands IRA bomb has said Tony Blair’s dismissal of his and fellow victims’ fight for compensation is ‘abysmal’.
Jonathan Ganesh - who formed the Docklands Victims Association after he was injured in the attack in South Quay - said he was disappointed at the answers Mr Blair gave to the Foreign Affairs Committee.
The former Prime Minister was speaking to the committee about his and his Government’s relationship with Libya and the late dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Mr Ganesh and fellow victims of Libyan-sponsored IRA attacks have been fighting for years to get answers and compensation.
The latest step for them comes in the form of an inquiry, led by the Northern Ireland Select Committee, which is looking into the UK Government’s role in seeking funds for Libyan-sponsored terrorist attacks.
Mr Blair has so far refused to give evidence to this inquiry, but while speaking to the Foreign Affairs Committee he said: “The compensation for IRA victims were handled under the compensation provisions that were in place under a previous Government.
ALSO ONLINE: Blair called to give evidence over Gaddafi deal
“And I think that was the position as it was accepted not just in my Government but the previous Government as well.”
Mr Ganesh said: “I was very disappointed to hear that.
“He gave the impression that he and the Government were not interested in helping the victims.
“I think it’s a terrible indictment on the Government and on Mr Blair - I’m baffled why they didn’t want to fight for their citizens.
“Now he has spoken to the Foreign Affairs Committee he should answers questions in front of the Northern Ireland Select Committee - if he can speak to one he can speak to the other.”
Mr Blair made the comments at a meeting in Portcullus House on Friday, December 11, where there was a huge police presence and detailed security checks carried out.
See more of what Mr Blair had to say to the Foreign Affairs Committee here .