A teenage girl’s little finger was sliced off on a fence as she attempted to get into an illegal rave in Charlton.

The illegal warehouse party in south-east London had been sealed off by police prompting dozens to try and gain access by scaling the 10ft metal barrier.

Witnesses told the Evening Standard that around 200 youngsters tried to climb the spiked metal fence around the empty storage centre when officers blocked the gates at 9pm on Saturday, August 15.

Carmen, 16, who scaled the barrier just before the girl was injured, told the paper: “Once I got over the fence I heard this really loud scream. It was such a shock. I turned around and she screamed she had lost her finger.

“I didn’t want to look but something made me. I had to walk off I felt so sick.

“The policeman was talking to us with the finger in a bag. Police were trying to calm her down. I’m sure she wasn’t listening to them – she was in so much shock. The police bandaged her hand.

“Then it felt like about 20 minutes before the ambulance turned up. She was holding the hand that was bleeding and shaking a lot. There was blood everywhere.

“She didn’t have any friends with her and nobody went in the ambulance with her.”

The event, which was advertised on Facebook, was organised in celebration of the anniversary of Big Vibes, which describes itself as “a London-based organisation that runs big (strictly 16+) underground parties for all you true ravers”.

The page said more than 4,000 people would be attending and an online advert told ravers to expect four stages, fire dancers, food, over 60 DJs and MCs, face painting and a fully stocked drinks and balloons bar.

It warned that only two beers were allowed per person, “anymore and they will be taken”, and asked clubbers to email for an invitation disclosing the location.

Police are now trying to trace the organisers of the event, which took place at Stone Lake Retail Park.

It is understood officers closed off the party as there were too many people to disperse.

Chief Superintendent Chris Hafford said: “The organisers have shown a reckless disregard for the impact that an event like this has on the local community and for the safety of those attending.

“Officers from Greenwich will be working with local partners to investigate offences linked to this event and prevent further events like this taking place.”