Fire fighters are urging Londoners to be careful when smoking at home following a flat fire in East India Dock Road.

London Fire Brigade believe the fire was caused by the “careless disposal of smoking materials.”

Two people escaped uninjured before fire fighters arrive and were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service.

Part of a three-room flat on the twelfth floor was damaged by fire and the rest of property suffered severe smoke damage.

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters from Poplar, Millwall, Whitechapel, Plaistow, Bethnal Green and Stratford fire stations worked to put out the blaze which started at around 9.10pm on Monday, December 14.

It was out by 10.57pm.

The London Fire Brigade has the following advice for smokers:

  • Put it out, right out - always make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
  • Take extra care when you’re tired or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep without realising that your cigarette is still burning.
  • Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.
  • Fit and maintain a smoke alarm on each level of your home - when a fire starts, you only have a few minutes to escape. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and dial 999.