Police and health and safety officials are continuing their investigations at an east London park where a five-year-old girl was killed when a tree swing collapsed.

Alexia Walenkaki suffered major head injuries when the trunk of the tree snapped and fell while her mother watched on in Mile End Park on Friday, July 17.

The girl’s 43-year-old mother Vida Kwotuah, from Poplar, ran to help but Alexia suffered a cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Royal London Hospital.

The mother-of-two told the Evening Standard: “She had a drink and I told her we were going to leave in 15 minutes so not to go far. She said ‘OK mummy’ and ran back towards the play area. She loved being at the park, we went around five times a week.

“I was watching her every move, I sat where I could see her and keep an eye on her. All of a sudden I see this log falling down and I started screaming.”

It was a special time for Alexia because she was looking forward to her sixth birthday on July 25. Her mother had undertaken IVF to have her.

Ms Kwotuah added: “Just moments before she was on my lap, then she was lying there in the recovery position and people were doing CPR on her. I was just in shock.

“She was a happy, loving, sociable girl, very intelligent and very likeable.”

Alexia’s school, Stepney Greencoat Church of England Primary School, held prayers for pupils and parents.

A spokesman for the Met Police said: “At this early stage officers believe a tree fell on the girl. A joint investigation is being carried out into the circumstances of the incident by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command and the Health and Safety Executive.”

The park is closed, but friends and family have been leaving floral tributes to Alexia.

One reads: “Dear Alexia, you were my best friend in the whole wide world. When I fell over you would pick me up. You were good at football, you are indeed my best friend, Corrine.”

Tower Hamlets Council said it would not comment while the investigations were ongoing but a spokesman said: “The council would like to extend its deepest sympathies to the family involved.”