A proposed three-day Tube strike starting this month has been slammed as “unbelievable” by Mayor of London Boris Johnson.
Leaders of transport union Aslef, RMT and Unite have met to discuss three days of industrial action on Wednesday, January 27, followed up by two more 24-hour strikes on Monday, February 15 and Wednesday, February 17.
It follows walkouts last year which saw the underground network grind to an halt and Canary Wharf a virtual ghost town as workers chose to do business from home.
The protests are part of a long-running dispute about plans for a 24-hour night service on the Tube, which includes Canary Wharf’s Jubilee Line, as well as disagreements about pay.
Read More: Night Tube will only benefit London's high-earners
Mr Johnson said: “It is unbelievable that the leadership of Aslef should now be contemplating strike action. They were offered excellent terms and conditions for their members to deliver the night tube. They turned those down - without ever properly consulting their membership.
“This is a sickening and cynical display of dog-in-the-mangerism. If a strike goes ahead, it will hit many London Underground workers who do not necessarily support the action, and it will cost the strikers in lost pay. It will inconvenience the travelling public. And it will do absolutely nothing to stop the progress towards the night tube.”
Meanwhile, chief operating officer for London Underground Steve Griffiths said members had been offered above-inflation pay rises and the total protection of work life balance.
Around 700 new jobs are expected to be created by the extension of the Tube operating hours.
He added: “Our four year pay offer is extremely fair and we have gone the extra mile to fully protect the work-life balance of all our staff. We will have hired around 700 additional staff, which gives total protection of work-life balance. This is precisely what the unions have asked for, making their call for strikes even more astonishing.”
A final decision on the strike has not yet been made.