The wife of fallen politician Lutfur Rahman has said he has brought shame on her, her family and her children.

Ayesha Farid made the comment during a trial looking at recovering £500,000 in court costs from Mr Rahman, which were incurred by four voters who took the former mayor of Tower Hamlets to court over electoral fraud.

Back in April, Richard Mawrey QC found Mr Rahman guilty of fraudulent practices during the 2014 Tower Hamlets mayoral election.

ALSO ONLINE: Lutfur Rahman’s wife in court over property ownership

He ordered the petitioners costs be fully repaid, but they have not received a penny and are now at the High Court of Justice Chancery Division in a bid to get the money.

Grace Street in Bromley-by-Bow, which is where the property being fought over is situated

Mr Rahman was declared bankrupt on Wednesday, November 18, and has not provided “any challenge” to the current case against him.

Instead, his wife has claimed she is a beneficiary of the property that is at the centre of the trial - 3 Grace Street in Bromley-by-Bow - despite rental payments and mortgage payments solely being dealt with by Mr Rahman.

During the second day of the trial on Wednesday, December 2, Simon Johnson, on behalf of the claimants, claimed that Mr Rahman had paid Mrs Farid £7,000 and £3,000 this year “to help pay for legal fees" in this case.

She replied: “That is completely not true at all. I am very upset at what has happened to my husband over the past year.

“He has brought shame on me, my family and children.

“I have always been independent and I have paid my solicitors fees myself.”

Former Tower Hamlets mayor Lutfur Rahman

Mr Johnson also accused Mrs Farid of making a series of “unusual” cash withdrawals in 2014 “to pay people canvassing for Mr Rahman during the election”.

Mrs Farid’s bank statements from 2013 and 2014 also showed huge differences in the cash drawn out over each year. In 2013 it was £700 and in 2014 it was £7,174.

She stated she had never been involved in his political work, later adding “he had no interest in buying property” and was “just interested in politics and work”.

Mr Johnson then questioned Mrs Farid on a trust deed which chief master Matthew Marsh said in the first day of the trial was "powerful evidence" for the defendants.

The pair, who split in 1999 for a time but are back together now, signed a trust deed that stated Mrs Farid had a 74% stake in 3 Grace Street.

However, Mr Johnson questioned why Mrs Farid had not then made the Land Registry aware of this agreement and why Mr Rahman had not informed his mortgage provider about the trust deed.

She said she had intended to but they “didn’t get round to it”.

A number of witnesses gave evidence on behalf of Mrs Farid as well.

All of them said they had paid money into Mr Rahman's account, but that money was for Mrs Farid to purchase 3 Grace Street and was not for Mr Rahman at all.

The trial continues.