The owner of a curry house has been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of a takeaway boss who was hacked to death by two men armed with a meat cleaver and a knife 19 years ago.

The Old Bailey heard Abdul Samad, 25, was living in Bow and running the Curry In A Hurry takeaway with two business partners when he received a bogus order to take food to Alwyne Road in Islington on May 21, 1997.

He was intercepted by two armed men in black masks and attempted to run for his life warning one shocked resident “He’s got a knife. He wants to kill me. Be careful” as he was chased down the road.

Abdul was then set upon on the ground before being left in a pool of blood, the court heard.

He died the following morning in hospital from injuries described by one doctor as “horrific – the like I have never seen before in my career”.

A postmortem examination found 18 separate chopping and stabbing injuries. The cause of death was identified as bleeding from multiple wounds and shock, prosecutor Mark Ellison QC told had the court.

It took a jury 12 hours to decide one of four men involved in Abdul's death was Foyjur Rahman, eventually pronouncing him guilty on a majority verdict of 11 to one on Friday, July 15.

Murder victim Abdul Samad, who lived in Bow, suffered 18 stabbing and chopping wounds

The 44-year-old was also living in east London and owned a different takeaway curry business in East Putney.

Mr Ellison told the court Abdul had been pressurised to act as an intermediary between two groups of Bengalis but refused to help sort out the dispute with the “Stoke Newington Boys”.

He was subsequently threatened.

Rahman was linked to the attack by DNA on items recovered from the scene and by his fingerprints.

The court heard two black masks, a bloody meat cleaver and carrier bags used to transport the murder weapons were found discarded nearby.

The day after the killing, Rahman went to New York and was only extradited back from the USA in January.

Foyjur Rahman's trail took place at the Old Bailey following his extradition from the US in January 2016

DNA from the other mask matched an associate – Mohiuddin Bablu – who was extradited from Bangladesh and convicted of the murder in 2012, jurors were told.

Members of the victim’s family burst into tears and there were cries of “yes” from the public gallery when the Rahman verdict was read out.

Judge Peter Rook QC later told Rahman he must spend a minimum of 18 years in prison for his crime.

Follow The Wharf on Twitter @the_wharf .

Keep up to date with all our articles on Facebook .