A blaze at a Canning Town restaurant started after grease and fat within the kitchen’s extraction system caught on fire.

Around 20 firefighters tackled the blaze at a restaurant and apartments on Western Gateway, Canning Town, on Thursday, December 17.

No one was injured in the fire, with the only casualty being the ducting - which lies between the ground and the first floor.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “It looks like the fire was caused after a charcoal grill ignited grease and fat deposits in the restaurant’s ducting.

“Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”

Four fire engines from Poplar, Plaistow, Homerton and Barking fire stations attended the incident after the brigade was called at 1.21pm. The fire was under control by 2.56pm.