Numerous Tower Hamlets sporting clubs will be improved following funding from CWCF as part of its fourth annual sports donation to clubs in Tower Hamlets and wider east London.
Those that benefited ranged from football clubs to watersports centres and judo clubs to dance academies all of which were presented cheques on May 12 at an event hosted in One Canada Square.
CWCF executive director and chairman Cormac MacCrann said: “I am very grateful to the supporters of Canary Wharf Contractors Fund for helping us raise these significant amounts of money.
“Much of the funds that we raise go to help children’s hospitals and hospices, so it is good to be able to help young people involved in sporting activities also.
“There is a huge breadth of sport clubs in Tower Hamlets, they all do great work for local children and adults and we are delighted to be able to support them.”
Below are the organisations the money will go to - and what it will enable them to achieve:
- A new programme to encourage young people with disabilities to play football at the Bangladesh Football Association.
- New swim club software and computer equipment for Bethnal Green Swimming Sharks.
- There will be a number of funded places for local people at the Docklands Sailing & Watersports Centre's Youth Afloat Programme this summer.
- Embrace Dance's free Saturday morning street dance classes for local children aged 6-16 years old at Island House.
- Support for FC Hamlets POPAC's Youth Development Project, supporting young people within FC Hamlets' U16’s and U18’s youth football teams.
- George Green’s School will now be able to deliver a Level 1 Football coaching programme for 16 young people aged between 16-18 years.
- At the Kaizen Academy funding will allow them to run the ‘eam Kaizen Summer Programme for young people during the summer holidays.
- Lee Valley Ice Skating Team will be able to assist the development of free skaters by attending an Elite training camp.
- There will be a new project - A Day in a Dancers World - from Lincoln Area Regeneration Group (LARG) (020 7538 5748).
- A donation has been made towards new team tracksuits for the London Disability Swimming Club.
- The Stepney Cricket Club will be able to develop and establish themselves further with the funding.
- The progression of elite players with extra coaching and support with competition fees for Tower Hamlets Badminton Academy
- Tower Hamlets Judo Club will deliver new coaching sessions in areas of Tower Hamlets that they currently do not cover, such as Bow, Poplar and the Isle of Dogs.
- A donation will fund a 20 week multi sports programme for Vallance Community Sports Association called Sports 4 All offering local young people access to safe and structured activities.