Mayor of London Boris Johnson has encouraged unions to take Transport for London’s offer in a last-minute bid to prevent London’s second 24-hour strike within weeks.
Representatives from Aslef, the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association have all turned down the offer and said they would not enter into any further talks.
The 24-hour strike, starting at 6.30pm on Wednesday, August 5 and lasting all of Thursday, August 6, is over the conditions put forward regarding the Night Tube – currently set to launch on September 12.
Should unions accept the TfL deal?
2 VOTES SO FAR
He said: “I think it would be fair to Londoners, to people in this country, if union representatives put this offer – which involves above-inflation pay increases, bonuses both for drivers and all other shift workers – to their members.
“We have only a few hours now to go until they are proposing to try to cause huge inconvenience to loads and loads of people in London and around the south-east of this country.
ALSO ONLINE: Tube strike travel advice for Canary Wharf commuters
“Come on, why don’t they put it to their members?”
The RMT has claimed the Night Tube was a “vanity project” for Mr Johnson and that it would not be possible to implement it by the mooted launch date.
The union said the scheme should be indefinitely suspended.