A bag of leftover hot coals has been blamed for a shed fire in Bermondsey.

London Fire Brigade is advising people to “cool your coals” after a bag of them caught on fire in a shed in Timber Pond Road on Wednesday, July 22.

Fire fighters believe that coals used in a barbecue the previous day were bagged up while still hot, and when the owner woke up he saw his shed alight. The fire completely destroyed the shed and nearby fencing. It also spread to a neighbours fence and partly damaged their shed.

London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Fires involving barbecues don’t only come during cooking but long after you’ve polished off the bangers and burgers. It’s important that you cool your coals and ash before you dispose of them. Also make sure the barbecue is cool before you try to move it.”

Fire crews from Dockhead, Old Kent Road, Deptford and New Cross attended the fire just after 9am and had it under control by around 9.50am