Charlton 4 Colchester 0 - Wilson double helps sink U's

By Rob Virtue on August 12, 2014 9:35 PM |

charlton badge new.jpg

An assured Charlton side saw off Colchester in style with Lawrie Wilson snatching a second half brace, Yoni Buyens netting a goal on his home debut and Simon Church firing home a fourth.

Colchester never recovered from the first-half second off of captain Magnus Okuonghae and were sent crashing out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle.

It was mostly plain sailing for Charlton but they were given an early warning after just five minutes when Freddie Sears fired a Gavin Massey pull-back wildly over when well placed.

At the other end George Tucudean tumbled in the box but his penalty claims were, probably rightly, waved away by referee Charles Breakspear.

Sears then volleyed over and, as the storm clouds gathered, disaster was just around the corner for the visitors.

Tucudean escaped round the back of the Colchester defence and his pull-back would have been converted by Franck Moussa but for the diving save by captain and center-half Okuonghae.

The U's man was shown a red card and another of Charlton's summer recruits, the impressive Buyens, cooly dispatched the spot-kick on 25 minutes.

Colchester went back into their shell and the rest of the half reverted to pedestrian pace. Tucudean threatened to put Charlton further in front with the only real chance of the period but his shot from a cleverly worked corner was cleared off the line.

The Addicks seemed to be coasting but, within a minute of the second half starting, Sears from range forced a good low stop from Stephen Henderson.

In response, a thunderbolt from Lawrie Wilson from 25 yards out flew just wide of Chris Lewington's post.

Wilson was to be more precise when given another chance minutes later. A header from Jordan Cousins in the heart of the Colchester defence put the wide-man through and he slipped the ball through the legs of Lewington and into the net on 55 minutes.

And Wilson, playing in a right-midfield role repeated the trick shortly after. After a good run, Harriott laid the ball off for Moussa, who passed to Wilson. This time he went for the drive across goal and Lewington had no chance. Charlton were now three up on 59 minutes.

Igor Vetokele then made his way on for Moussa, but it was the former FC Copenhagen star's strike partner who almost added a fourth. Tucudean was played through by Cousins, rounded the keeper but Sean Clohessy chased back to clear off the line.

A long range free-kick by U's sub Sammie Szmodics fell yards wide but that was as close as the visitors got in a one-sided half.

Substitute Johan Gudmundsson then forced Lewington to make a low save while Harriott blasted the rebound just over.

An almost carbon copy of that move saw the Addicks claim a fourth in the last minute. The left-footed drive from Gudmundsson was parried away low by the Colchester keeper and Church was on hand to tap home.

Charlton: Henderson; Gomez, Bikey, Morrison, Fox; Wilson, Buyens (Gudmundsson 63), Cousins, Harriott; Moussa (Vetokele 59), Tucudean (Church 73).
Subs not used: Pope, Nego, Pigott, Ben Haim.

Colchester: Lewington; Okuonghae, Eastman, Gordon, Clohessy; Gilbey, Moncur; Massey, Sears (Szmodics 63), Vose (Bean 28); Ibehre.
Subs not used: Walker, Thompson, Holman, Kent, Curtis.

Attendance: 5,752