Match Report: Tottenham 1 West Ham 2

By Rob Virtue on December 18, 2013 11:59 PM |


West Ham United advanced into the semi-final of the Capital One cup for the second time in three years, running out 2-1 winners against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Wednesday evening.

After only one win in eight, the Hammers were looking for a similar performance to the thrilling 3-0 victory against their same London rivals two months ago.

With the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas on Monday after the humiliating defeats to Liverpool and Manchester City, Daniel Levy had decided Tim Sherwoods' turn to take the reins.

And it started promising for Sherwood with the first chance falling to Tottenham's former West Ham striker Jermain Defoe. Aaron Lennon's pace had Razvan Rat on the back burner before his low cross found Defoe, but he pulled his shot wide of the post.

Spurs really have started on top as Tim Sherwood's men went close again. This time England winger Andros Townsend's 25 yard fizzing drive went narrowly past the post.

With Lennon causing havoc on the right-hand side, Joey O'Brien was nearly left red faced after the Spur's winger's deep cross was headed just past the post by the Irish full-back.

With 15 minutes played, the away side rarely looked like causing Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris problems, and very rarely entered the host's half.

Spurs striker Emmanuel Adebayor, looking for a chance of resurrect his career with a goal, went close but his guided header did not have quite enough power to threaten Adrian.

With nearly half an hour played, both teams looked to be cancelling eachother out with a good solid backline and no chances created in a 10 minute spell. Those that Spurs put together in the first 20 minutes of the game have rather dried up.

Defoe's effort on the 34th minute went straight into the hands of keeper Adrian from 25 yards out. One minute later, Carlton Cole had West Ham's first shot of the game but his side footed shot was no match for Lloris and the score remained goalless.

Defoe's hopeful volley from 12 yards out capped off goalless first half, in which Tottenham should have been at least 1-0 up in the first 20 minutes.

Winger Lennon had the first chance of the second half. Danny Rose's cross was headed clear by Joey O'Brien and Lennon latched onto it quickly but the deflected effort went wide.

Midfield maestro Gylfi Sigurdsson thought he had a great goal scoring opportunity to put the hosts in front, but his shot was blocked by captain for the night, James Collins

Collins was involved in an incident immediately following his superb intervention. After George McCartney received treatment, the Welsh centre-half had a cheeky effort shooting from all of 70 yards out and nearly caught Lloris off guard.

Just after the hour mark, Tottenham finally got the goal they craved as Defoe's cross was perfect for Adebayor to latch onto with a fierce volley. It went in off the underside of the crossbar and Spurs were one step close to the semi-final of the Capital One cup.

Substitute Mohamed Diame, who just come on for Joe Cole, nearly put the Hammers level after his fierce volley brought out an outstanding save from Lloris.

Matt Taylor also went close on 75 minutes with his stinging drive, but again, Lloris was on hand to keep Spurs in front.

Townsend and Adebayor made way for Nacer Chadli and Lewis Holtby respectively, while Ravel Morrison came on for Alou Diarra in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Just when Tottenham began thinking they were through, West Ham hit back.

Modibo Maiga's flic- on found Matt Taylor, who laid it off to Matt Jarvis and the winger finished well to score his second goal of this competition this season.

Spurs nearly replied instantly. Defoe played in Chadli, but the Belgium international's tame effort with a one on one chance was easy for Adrian to collect.

Drama occurred in the final five minutes of the match Diame's brilliant cross found Maiga, who leapt like a salmon to guide his header past Lloris, to score his first goal of the season and turn this game on its head.

Sigurdsson's low shot from 25 yards out produced a great save from Adrian to ensure hope was there to send West Ham into the semi-final.

Maiga's 30 yard effort crashed against the crossbar, and that was the final moment of the game and ensured West Ham were in the hat for semi-final of the Capital One cup and inflict Sherwood's first defeat as Tottenham caretaker manager.

Jack Pinnock

The Wharf The Wharf

Read The Wharf's