Early morning cooking leads to flat fire in Shadwell
Firefighters battled a blaze in the early hours of Saturday morning and then issued a warning about drunken cooking.
A man was treated for smoke inhalation while 14 firefighters put out a fire on the ground floor of a flat in Watts Street, Shadwell.
Three fire engines from Whitechapel and Shadwell attended at around 2am and the fire was out by 2.34am.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said: "Cooking is one of the leading causes of fires in London homes. You should never leave your cooking unattended as it can get too hot or burn and catch fire.
"If you're coming in from a night out, don't try and cook - cooking while drunk or very tired can lead to more than just burnt bangers. We recommend you get a takeaway instead."