Greenwich pub fined £20k for serious hygiene fail
Owners of a Greenwich pub have received a hefty fine after inspectors found mouse droppings in the kitchen and raw sewage in sinks.
Environmental health officers for Greenwich Council spotted the "serious breaches of food hygiene" at the Trafalgar Tavern during a routine visit on February 16, 2012.
At a hearing at Greenwich Magistrates Court last month, Greenwich Inc Limited was ordered to pay £19, 190.52, comprising of a £10,500 fine, £8,675.52 in costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
The council team discovered a serious mouse infestation, including droppings in the main kitchen, shelves and in a store room, as well as raw sewage in sinks that had been covered by cling film.
Hot water and hand washing facilities could not be accessed.
A temporary closure order was imposed, and the kitchen re-opened on February 20, 2012, following a deep-clean.
Councillor Maureen O'Mara, cabinet member for community safety and the environment, said: "We're committed to ensuring that people can visit and eat at local restaurants across the Royal Borough in the knowledge that safe and essential food hygiene standards are being followed."