Birmingham deny Charlton with late equaliser

By Rob Virtue on February 9, 2013 5:30 PM |

charlton badge new.jpg

Charlton blew a late lead for the second game running at home as they were held to a 1-1 draw against Birmingham.

The Addicks took the lead with just three minutes remaining through a Yann Kermorgant header before Wade Elliott pulled the Blues level in injury time.

On a boggy pitch at The Valley, Charlton slightly edged the first half with both Ricardo Fuller and Lawrie Wilson forcing good saves from Birmingham keeper Jack Butland.

After the break the game really got going. Scott Wagstaff was just off target with a low drive while Charlton keeper Ben Hamer comfortably saved from Robert Hall.

Fuller then curled in an effort from the edge of the box which went just wide of the post and Cedric Evina fired over from 12 yards.

Curtis Davies then nearly put the ball into his own net while Marlon King flashed a shot wide at the other end.

Butland then saved from point blank range - and still this pulsating second period was less than half way through.

The next 12 minutes flashed by with little opportunity before Wagstaff forced another great low save from Butland.

With 88 minutes gone Charlton finally got their goal. Chis Solly's cross from the right found Kermorgant unmarked and the Frenchman nodded past Butland.

But Charlton, who let in two late goals against Sheffield Wednesday in the last home game, couldn't hold on again.

The ball bounced around the Addicks' box and Wade Elliott popped up to place it past Hamer for the equaliser three minutes into the four allotted of injury time.

After the match, Charlton manager Chris Powell couldn't hide his disappointment.

"It's a shame because the boys performed really well in tough conditions and we came up against a keeper in imperious form," he said.

"It's a real disappointment because the fans stuck with us today as well. I can take positives from this performance. It's another point but we should have taken all three,

"This is a side that's doing okay but I keep thinking we could be doing even better in a tough league against sides with investment and parachute money.

"We could easily be in the top half - even higher."

Birmingham boss Lee Clark said: "The game turned on its head the last couple of minutes. I thought it was an even contest and it might have been an injustice if we took nothing from the game.

"As a team we defended brilliantly. We had a good shape. And it wasn't for the first time we've responded late."