Ten-men Charlton go out of cup to Huddersfield

By Rob Virtue on January 5, 2013 5:00 PM |

new cafc logo.jpg

A frustrating afternoon for Charlton saw them crash out of the FA Cup against Huddersfield Town at The Valley.

The Addicks, who were reduced to 10 men in the second-half, failed to conjure up a significant chance against their Championship rivals.

Manager Chris Powell seemed to put little value on the competition as he made five changes to the side that beat Watford in a seven goal epic on New Year's Day.

Ben Hamer, Johnnie Jackson, Leon Cort, Chris Solly and Ricardo Fuller were rested with Jordan Cook, Salim Kerkar, Matt Taylor, Bradley Wright-Phillips and goalkeeper David Button coming into the side.

Huddersfield didn't take long to take advantage of the weakened side.

Jermaine Beckford gave them the lead on 11 minutes when the former Leeds United striker fired home from eight yards out after controlling an Adam Clayton through ball over the top.

Some nice moves from both sides followed with little to show for it. The away team came closest with James Vaughan heading over and the forward also had the ball in the net 15 minutes before the break but it was ruled out for offside.

The same man then tested Button from range but the goalkeeper, making his debut for the Addicks, pushed it round the post.

Charlton looked lively in attack with Dale Stephens playing superbly in the middle.

Their best chance was when Wright-Phillips escaped down the right but his pull back to Yann Kermorgant was cut out by a defender.

It took the shot shy Addicks nearly 53 minutes to get an effort on goal when Wright-Phillips volleyed the ball tamely over the bar.

But within minutes Charlton were down to 10 men.

Defender Dorian Dervite failed to deal with a long ball over the top and as Beckford marched through on goal the Frenchman tripped him to earn himself a red card.

A Kerkar free-kick then forced the first save of the match from Huddersfield keeper Alex Smithies who pushed the long-ranger out to safety.

Charlton had a number of free-kicks in crossing positions but the away side dealt with them comfortably.

With eight minutes left Scott Arfield curled a shot wide for Huddersfield, who were struggling to make their numerical advantage count despite rarely breaking sweat.

The Addicks' Lawrie Wilson, marauding forward, hit a long range effort in injury-time, which sailed over the bar, but Charlton were to go out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.

Attendance: 6,657 (499 away)