Charlton 2 Peterborough 0

By Rob Virtue on November 27, 2012 9:47 PM |


Chris Powell's men saw off bottom of the table Peterborough with a late double at The Valley on Tuesday night.

It was the Addicks fourth win in five games but it was made difficult by the visitors who put on a spirited display.

Charlton boss Powell was bold following the tough draw against Huddersfield three days earlier, resting Rob Hulse - who had scored in his last three outings at The Valley - and midfield playmaker Dale Stephens, to give Yann Kermorgant a start and allow Johnnie Jackson to slip into the middle alongside Arsenal loanee Emmanuel Frimpong.

It meant Kermorgant would partner Ricardo Fuller for the first time and within minutes their threat to Peterborough was apparent when the former Stoke man flicked the ball on for the Breton to force a save from Bobby Olejnik with a searing volley from 20 yards.

At the other Peterborough started brightly with quick, neat passing moves, and that led to Dwight Gayle being given their first chance, thwarted by a sliding tackle from Leon Cort.

It was Charlton who would have the lionshare of the opening chances, however,

A Frimpong effort from distance was deflected over and another drifted tamely wide; Fuller headed over a Jackson corner when well-placed; and Jackson nodded over a Salim Kerkar cross when even better placed.

Kerkar, returning to his favoured left-wing position with Dan Seaborne slipping in behind him, was causing numerous problems for Boro's Mark Little.

Ten minutes before the break and Olejnik was given his first test when Fuller, after dribbling it past two defenders at the byline, fired in a low shot that the Posh keeper got down well to save with him legs.

Peterborough, bottom of the league after a terrible early start to the campaign, were not without their moments of optimism, looking to play their way into dangerous positions but seemingly lacking the bite.

It was former Addicks' trainee George Boyd who was the heartbeat of those moves, and, but for a smart save by Ben Hamer from 12 yards out on the stroke of half-time, the away side would have been in front.

After the break Charlton started strongly with Kermorgant heading narrowly wide off Chris Solly's cross.

Moments later, the same provider whipped the ball in from the byline and Bradley Pritchard headed the ball against the outside of Olejnik's upright.

Darren Ferguson's men were soon looking more lively, as at the other end Hamer saved superbly, low to his right from a Lee Tomlin drive from the edge of the area. And the keeper was down again a moment later, saving more comfortably, this time from Gayle.

The match was well balanced.

Then Peterborough nearly snatched the lead in bizarre style. Boyd's wayward effort hit the seemlingly offside Tomlin, and as the Charlton defence confidently appealed for a flag that never appeared, the ball trickled on to the post before being cleared to safety.

But while Peterborough were in the ascendancy, a moment of magic let Charlton snatch the lead.

Pritchard passed to Kermorgant who slipped the ball across to Fuller, over 30 yards from goal. After a touch to steady himself he let fly with his right foot, sending the ball flying past Olejnik in the top corner.

The super stike was the last of Fuller, however, who went down after the goal and hobbled off with what looked like a hamstring injury.

Peterborough had no answer and Charlton were playing with confidence. With five minutes left on the clock Kermorgant added a second.

Substitute Danny Green's low cross was perfect for fellow sub Hulse but his tap-in with the goal at his mercy was tame leaving his strike partner to slide it over the line at the far post.

The 2-0 win was not as comfortable as the scoreline suggested but enough to see the Addicks climb to 13th position ahead of Saturday's clash with Millwall at The Den.

Attendance: 17,344