Charlton 1 Huddersfield 1

By Rob Virtue on November 24, 2012 5:05 PM |


Charlton were denied a fourth straight win due to a late Huddersfield equaliser in a controversial clash at The Valley.

The match saw the visitors playing with 10 men for most of the game before being given salvation in the form of a penalty in the dying minutes.

Huddersfield deserved credit for the comeback as they seemed dead and buried with Charlton controlling the game after Rob Hulse gave them a second-half lead.

Both sides went into the match needing changes. Knocks to free-scoring forward Danny Haynes and on-loan defender Danny Seaborne for the Addicks meant striker Ricardo Fuller started his first game in seven, after going off injured in the home defeat to Barnsley, while Emmanuel Frimpong made his debut for Charlton in centre midfield.

The signing on-loan from Arsenal was partnered with Dale Stephens, returning from being sidelined with sickness, who replaced Eggert Jonsson.

Sean Scannel and James Vaughan were both missing for the visitors.

Most eyes were on the Charlton debutant in the opening exchanges. Early signs were not the best for the Addicks fans, when Frimpong lost his man early on, helping Huddersfield win a corner.

It was almost costly with Johnnie Jackson forced to clear the ball off the line after a scramble and the away side's captain Peter Clarke blasting over with the goal at his mercy.

After that, however, the Ghanaian settled down and looking comfortable in a deep midfield position, allowing Stephens to play in an advanced free role.

Frimpong also carved out the best early chance for the Addicks, whipping in a tantalising cross which somehow eluded both Fuller and Rob Hulse.

At the other end, Huddersfield were continuing to cause problems, especially on the counter, with clever movement from both of Town's forwards, Simon Church and Lee Novak.

There was free-flowing football from both sides but were chances were hard to come by.

Fuller created his own midway through the first half picking the ball up 40 yards from goal and running through the away side's defence before dragging his shot across goal.

Soon after, Novak struck from the edge of the Charlton box forcing Hamer to save low to his right, with the Addicks keeper then grabbing the ball at the second attempt from the feet of Church who was lurking.

Then with 35 minutes gone, Huddersfield were down to 10 men.

Keith Southern came in late on Michael Morrison sending the Charlton centre-half flying and referee Collins had no hesitation in sending the former Blackpool midfielder off,

The decision infuriated the Huddersfield players who surrounded Collins and, to be fair, they could have a case.

Almost instantly the dynamics of the game changed with Huddersfield packing the midfield and reducing the Addicks options.

That's how it stayed until after the break when the game started in a much more open fashion.

Town winger Danny Ward tested Hamer from distance in the first chance but as Huddersfield went forward, gaps began to appear.

And on the hour, the deadlock was broken when the Addicks took the lead.

Jackson picked up the ball in the Huddersfield half, played it central to Fuller who released Bradley Pritchard on the right-hand side of the area. His low cross was dangerous and met by Hulse, who had the easy task of tapping in his third Charlton goal of the season from just a few yards out.

A Frimpong shot from 35 yards was saved comfortably by Town keeper Alex Smithies but was noteworthy due to the Arsenal man injuring his knee in the process, causing him to be substituted in a move which seemed more precautionary than anything else.

It was an impressive performance for the debutant who had improved as the game went on.

The Addicks carried on professionally, urging their opposition to attack them and resisting the calls of the home fans to head forward.

And it was a counter-attack which nearly gave them a second when Fuller raced through and placed the ball just wide of the beaten Smithies' post from the edge of the box.

Soon after, Fuller made his way off for Kermorgant, and the former Stoke man would go on to rue that miss.

Charlon looked in control but it only takes a second for a game to change and that happened when Huddersfield won a penalty with less than four minutes left.

Goalkeeper Ben Hamer dropped a cross and Solly was adjudged to have fouled Clarke, catching him with his foot as the Town defender went to head the ball towards goal.

Former Manchester City midfielder Adam Clayton calmly converted the spotkick.

Charlton piled forward looking for the winner and thought they had grabbed it in the dying seconds.

Danny Green whipped in a cross which was met by Hulset's head and somehow brilliantly saved from under the bar by Smithies.

Attendance: 20,012