Charlton: Fuller excited by Valley challenge
It's been 13 years since Ricardo Fuller's dreams of a contract at Charlton were dashed after failing a fitness test.
After he left Premier League Stoke City in the summer, he's now back at The Valley following his signing last month but the philosophical big striker's refusing to see it as unfinished business.
"You could look at it like that but for me it's just the way it was," said Fuller, who went on to play over 180 league games for Stoke. "God rules the world and only he know why I didn't sign 12 or 13 years ago.
"Maybe it made me stronger and helped me achieve a lot of stuff elsewhere. Now I'm here it's a new start, a new beginning. I'm looking forward to it and I accept the challenge."
Fuller, now 32, made his first home appearance in Friday night's 1-0 defeat against Crystal Palace, where he nearly rescued a point when he hit the bar late on.
Afterwards he said he was pleased to see so many old faces still at the club.
He added his desire to return to playing after a prolonged summer break made it an easy choice to join Charlton when manager Chris Powell came calling.
"I first spoke to Chrissy when we met in Hilton Hotel in Croydon," he said. "Obviously my agent had told me about what was going on. I was free and I needed to be at a club.
"I came back to England late in the summer because I got married in Jamaica. And I was with the Jamaican team as soon as the season finished. To be honest I needed a break. I needed a rest. Then this came about and I'm here now.
"I'm back where it all started. Then Ben (Roberts) was a player, Chris was a player. I know the club's story.
"Alan Curbishley was the manager and Keith Peacock was a coach, and he's back here. It's where it all started. I'm just happy to be here and I want to get as fit as I can to help the club get back up the league."
Charlton return to league action at Derby County on Tuesday night. Kick-off is 7.45pm.