Orient beat Charlton in dramatic cup clash

By Rob Virtue on August 14, 2012 10:41 PM |


An extra-time no-one wanted, a penalty shoot-out defeat for the Addicks and a sending off for Chris Powell, made for an awful night for the Charlton boss.

In the League Cup clash at The Valley four days before the Championship curtain-raiser at Birmingham City, Charlton rested a number of first-teamers.

After a series of pre-season friendlies first competitive starts were given to summer signings Lawrie Wilson at right back, Jordan Cook in left midfield and Salim Kerkar in the centre of the pitch.

Elsewhere, Ben Hamer started in goal, with Cedric Evina, Leon Cort and Matthew Taylor making up the back four.

Danny Green and Danny Hollands lined up alongside Kerkar and Cook in midfield, while Scott Wagstaff partnered Michael Smith - making his first appearance at The Valley since signing from Darlington last season - up front.

While Charlton had the lion-share of possession in the opening exchanges, with Kerkar and Cook both impressing, it was former Addicks in Orient shirts who had the chances.

First Kevin Lisbie's effort from the edge of the area was saved low by Hamer, before the latter was involved in a defensive mix-up to give David Mooney possession 30 yards out with the goal unguarded.

The Irishman's shot, however, ballooned over the bar.

At the other end Danny Green drove a dipping effort just wide from distance, before having another effort from inside the box comfortably saved by Orient's Ryan Allsop.

The Addicks would have to wait until the 28th minute before they got the opening goal, aided by a slice of fortune.

From an Orient attack, Charlton broke away and Cook cut inside neatly before releasing Wagstaff.

With defender Gary Sawyer between him and the Orient goalkeeper, Wagstaff attempted to drive the ball into the far post, but Sawyer's outstretched leg deflected it inside stricken Allsop's near post.

Moments later and the Addicks nearly doubled their lead when Smith laid the ball back for Green on the edge of the area, but the Charlton wideman placed his shot just wide.

Speculative but fruitless long-range efforts were what filled the remainder of the first period until Orient struck on the stroke of half-time.

Sawyer, in redemption mode, swung in a corner from the right and Mathieu Baudry rose unchallenged and headed the ball past Hamer.

The second-half started with just as much drama. Wilson brought down Mooney in the area just three minutes in.

Mooney stepped up to take the spot-kick and fired against the underside of the crossbar before the ball bounced away to safety, much to the relief of the full-back signed from Stevenage in pre-season.

The half was being played at a frenetic pace, right into the hands of Charlton. It was from a corner the home side first came close to re-taking the lead.

Green, who had been a set-piece threat all evening, hit an inswinger that went all the way along the goal before bouncing off the far post to safety.

From the opposite corner, Kerkar swung in a dangerous cross which Cort headed narrowly wide.

With 25 minutes remaining and Charlton in the ascendancy, manager Chris Powell let his temper get the better of him after the Addicks gave away a free-kick on the edge of their own area.

Furious with the referee's decision, he was sent to the stands by the referee for an outburst noted by the fourth official.

It was the second dismissal he has suffered in his short managerial career and will see him likely begin the season away from the dugout.

On the pitch and Green hit the post again.

This time it was a free-kick, with the defence expecting the ball played into the far post he went for a shot and despite beating Allsop, the ball bounced back off the upright and out to safety.

Next, a quickly taken Cook corner was driven rocket-like by Kerkar, just wide of Allsop's far post.

Despite Addicks' pressure, it was then Orient who would come close next. Cox drove a stinging shot from close range which Hamer did well to get down to and parry away.

And Cox had another effort minutes later, volleying narrowly over. Orient substitute Ryan Brunt then raced through but his shot was tame and easily held by Hamer.

In injury-time it was Charlton who nearly grabbed the victory but Green, after a mazy run by Cook, dragged his shot wide when in space on the right to leave the scores level at full-time.

Extra-time followed and Charlton's management's seeming unwillingness to risk any first-teamers on the bench meant the 10 outfield players continued battled on with tired legs.

Danny Hollands came close to putting them on course to victory when his free-kick was well saved by Allsop at full stretch. From the resulting corner Cort somehow headed wide at the far post.

Bradley Pritchard then finally made his way off the substitutes bench to replace classy Kerkar.

Half-time soon followed and saw the introduction of Addicks' captain Johnnie Jackson and Bradley Wright-Phillips for the impressive duo of Cook and Smith.

Wright-Phillips was lively and causing Orient problems and he won the corner which gave Charlton a great opportunity to take the lead.

Jackson's inswinger was met at the far post by Taylor but the big defender's header was cleared off the line by Sawyer.

In a reverse situation Orient's Brunt nearly put them ahead, but Evina was on the line to clear.

Luckless Green than rifled in a shot from 20 yards out which went just over, and with seconds remaining Pritchard whipped in a volley that also cleared the bar by a few inches.

Following the final whistle, penalties were taken in front of the Covered End.

The Addicks regular taker Jackson saw his effort saved by Allsop, before Orient's Michael Symes dispatched confidently.

Wilson then hammered his shot against the bar.

Sawyer scored for Orient before Green finally found the back of the net. Hamer then saved Ben Chorley's effort.

Wright-Phillips thundered home his penalty and Orient's Lloyd James also scored.

Pritchard smashed the next past Allsop, before Brunt sent Hamer the wrong way to win it for the east Londoners.

Attendance: 5,914 (979 away)