Fitness: Reebok Regiment at Wood Wharf

By Rob Virtue on August 3, 2012 12:30 PM |

reebok marine3.jpg

The arrival of the Olympics means Wood Wharf is currently the Monte Carlo of Canary Wharf with the rich and famous docking their superyachts before heading to London 2012 parties.

Come Tuesday, however, and there will be a slightly more strained feel to the site.

Then it will see ex-Royal Marine Chris Geran takes some willing participants of the Reebok Regiment out to the newly laid lawns.

The boot camp-style workout is free to those taking part - even for non-members of Reebok Sports Club in Canada Square - for a one-month trial.

It gives the Welsh-born personal trainer, who spent seven years with the UK's elite amphibious force, a chance to show fitness fans what they can do.

"It won't be anything like the marines can be physically," he said. "And we don't do shouting in the Marines, it's more motivation. We're not the army, which stands for 'Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet'.

"We'll be doing power bag drills and calisthenics, such as bending, stretching and jumping."

After serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, Chris then went into the world of private security in some of the world's most dangerous areas.

reebok marine4.jpg

"I was a mountain leader in the Marines, which is a tough level, involving all sorts of activities, from rock climbing to parachuting and abseiling," he said.

"It was physically demanding and when I first left I decided to go for a complete change and became a plumber.

"It wasn't for me though. It lasted just six months and I started doing security in places like Zimbabwe where people would need to change cars seven times to go to the shops.

"I then moved to Libya to do boot camps for the ex-pat community there, before the troubles started and my fiancee and I decided to get out."

Chris joined Reebok just a few weeks ago and was keen to start the boot camp, which is being backed by Canary Wharf Group.

The workout is probably the first time such activity has been held on the Canary Wharf estate and has come about due to the area's management creating a park at Wood Wharf, which is listed in the long-term future for redevelopment.

The plans for Wood Wharf include nearly five million sq ft of office space, 1,500 homes, a high street and a hotel.

Planning permission was granted in 2008, however, no dates have yet been given on when work will begin on the site.

Boats from all over the world arrived in the area last week including Octopus, owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

Group exercise manager at Reebok Tanya Camilleri said: "A lot of people do prefer training outdoors especially in the sunny weather and this kind of activity is always well received by our members so I can't see why it wouldn't work."

The sessions have been planned for Tuesdays throughout August between 12.30pm and 1.15pm and Thursdays between 6.30pm and 7.30pm.

Go to reebokclub.co.uk for more information.

16 Comments

Richard said:

I really great work out. Give it a go!

The Truth said:

pity everything Chris Geran has said is lies, he only lasted 1 month in Royal Marine recruit training

Toby Canham said:

What a tool. This fakes currently under scrutiny as a Walter Mitty and has the nerve to slag the Army.
Whys Your Facebook page gone?
You utter throbber

the walter said:

and another one bites the dust!

Gary chapman said:

I believe this company are also committing fraud by advertising for something that's blatantly not true and making money out of it. What a fake throbber, get back to plumbing !!!

Errol said:

How dare he drag the army down, I did 25 weeks basic training back in 82 this civie deserves no respect. At least I can call myself a vet.

Gunstar said:

I like the photo of you sat on your mate doing a pushup; Trying to look big at his expense? Real cool.

Greg said:

What a tool, people like him who tell blatent lies in order to make finicial gain at the expense of real veterans who really did the things he is lieing about deserve to go to jail! I hope this company does the honourable thing and distances themselves from this tool and issue an apology soonest!

Frank said:

Why do you all think this guy is lying?

David said:

Confirmed as a complete Walter Mitty by ex and serving members of the Royal Marines!

Greg said:

@Frank I was in Royal Marines training with him.... very briefly as he was discharged through injury after only doing a few weeks training out of the 32 weeks required to pass out as a Royal Marines Commando. His CV is complete bullshit.

Greg said:

@Frank I was in Royal Marines training with him.... very briefly as he was discharged through injury after only doing a few weeks training out of the 32 weeks required to pass out as a Royal Marines Commando. His CV is full of lies.

S Wright said:

Shame that the insitructor's Military training only extended to 14 week sof basic training then a Medical Discharge. As such has never served home or abroad, never done his Mountain Leaders course nor the Paraa course either. It is disgusting that he has falsified this info to get a job via fraud only because he could not do the real job. Makes the true veterans of the world sick. Hopr you really do an injury that his time finished your career - or would you try and claima war pension on that eh? And if i see you taking a class anywhere I will be sure to tell you pupils the TRUTH about you. You poor excuse for a male (not worth a man).

Frank said:

Wow in that case I am truely disgusted by the stories he told me and no doubt other members about his time in Afghanistan, that is just sick.

Emma Powell said:

Train with a REAL Royal Marine Physical Training Instructor, Class 1 at State of Mind Fitness in West London - Barry O'Connell. www.stateofmindfitness.co.uk or email info@stateofmindfitness.co.uk or call 0203 303 0623 - A different take on fitness that will inspire you to return again and again!

Emma Powell said: