Charlton 0 Hull City 0

By Rob Virtue on August 25, 2012 5:03 PM |


Charlton remain unbeaten after three games in the Championship but failed to break down Hull in a rain drenched match at The Valley.

And it was the side from the Humber who would have snatched the victory but for some wasteful finishing at the death.

Manager Chris Powell kept the same starting eleven as for the victory against Leicester City on Tuesday night.

On the bench Dorian Dervite-Vaussoue, a late signing in the summer, made his first appearance for Charlton after Matt Taylor injured his ankle in the warm-up.

The opening exchanges saw little in the way of chances despite some enterprising football.

Hull striker Nick Proschwitz's 25-yard drive straight at Charlton keeper Ben Hamer was the away side's best effort while Bradley Pritchard's blocked shot from inside the Hull City penalty area was the closest the hosts got.

The signs were looking good for Charlton though with Yann Kermorgant often beating former Stoke defender Abdoulaye Faye in the air and fellow strike partner Bradley Wright-Phillips alert and dangerous alongside him.

It was the latter who gave City keeper Ben Amos his first test of the game when on 20 minutes the Addicks top scorer from last season shot from the edge of the box.

The ball took a deflection causing it to rise towards the top corner but Amos dived to his right to pluck it out of the air.

It took till the 29th minute for the first clear-cut chance on goal and it fell to Hull striker Sone Aluko who outpaced Charlton defender Leon Cort to go one-on-one with Hamer.

But his shot was too close to the Addicks number one who was able to parry the ball to safety.

Following a downpour and with the skies above them thundering the Addicks turned up the pressure, coming close for a series of corners and Cort twice heading narrowly wide.

With the fans behind them in full voice Jackson then escaped down the left and picked out Kermorgant who had peeled away from his marker. The Breton volleyed right footed but Amos leapt low to his left to somehow keep the ball out.

The second-half kicked off amid a lightening storm which proved to be the perfect soundtrack for when Kermorgant fired the ball into an empty net just minutes in.

However, The Valley turned from cheers to groans when the referee ruled it out for an earlier infringement.

At the other end Proschwitz's rising shot from the edge of the area was held well by Hamer and the second-half was proving to be as fast paced as the first.

However, chances were few and far between as the intense rain was having an impact on the game with both team's struggling to keep possession.

An swinging free-kick from Dale Stephens was Charlton's next best move as the game approached the last 15 minutes. It was flicked on by Hull substitute Paul McShane and the ball beat Amos but fell the wrong side of the upright.

Successive blocks in the Charlton penalty box by Cort and Danny Hollands then kept Hull at bay. At the other end Kermorgant got his head on to a Jackson corner but the ball dropped wide of the goal.

With just five minutes of normal time left, Hull nearly snatched the lead. Aluko played the ball through for substitute Jay Simpson but he dragged his effort just wide of Hamer's post.

Hull were looking much more likely for the victory and following a silky move Aluko was gifted with an open goal after Hamer had saved Simpson's shot. However, the striker somehow fired the ball wide of goal.

Simpson and Aluko both had efforts well held by Hamer during five minutes of injury time leaving manager Powell grateful for the point at the final whistle.

Attendance: 16,202