Machete thug jailed for Westferry attack

aa-jan13-Rahman142.jpg

A father saw his son brutally attacked in an unprovoked machete attack which saw him lose an eye and part of his nose.

Saifour Rahman, 23, of Charnwood Gardens on the Isle of Dogs, was sent to prison for an indefinite period when he appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday to be sentenced for the attack.

He had previously been found guilty on October 25 last year for the incident which took place on April 27 outside Perfect Fried Chicken in Westferry Road.

Rahman was part of a gang armed with sticks, poles and a machete who ran up to the victim and his two friends.

Rahman struck the victim with a machete to the face, which resulted in the loss of his left eye and also severed his nose at the bridge leaving him requiring facial reconstruction surgery.

The victim's father, who was working in a nearby shop, saw the incident but did not have time to get to his son before the blow was struck.

Another man managed to duck out of the way as Rahman took another swing with the machete.

It was recommended Rahman serve a minimum of seven and a half years for the attack.

Detective Sergeant Lee McCullough said: "This conviction highlights the continual commitment of the Metropolitan Police Service the dealing with violent crimes committed by those willing to use weapons against innocent members of the community.

"The sentence sends out a clear message to others that they will be brought to justice if they commit such crime."

6 Comments

Magnet said:

Excellent news! Well done to the Police and the Justice system for getting this thug locked up, hop he rots in hell for this horrendous attack.

Miss A said:

This is an example of where the criminal justice system has gone wrong, no evidence has been admitted to show the involvement of Saifour Rahman therefore the justice system and the police did not carry out a good enough job, placing an innocent youth worker in prison. Not Justice at all !

Sal said:

Finally, one of the biggest troublemakers in the community has gone down. Great news! We can now live in peace without low life street rats going around attacking people. And Miss A, if there was no evidence then he wouldn't have been sentenced. Get your facts right before commenting.

Sal A said:

Finally, one of the biggest troublemakers in the community has gone down. Great news! We can now live in peace without low life street rats going around attacking people. And Miss A, get your facts right before commenting. If there was no evidence then this thug would not have been sentenced in the first place. It is not very easy to throw people in prison in the UK!

James said:

Let me get this straight, Miss A, no evidence was admitted in a case where one bloke attacked three men with a machete and all three were left alive and able to identify him?

Does eye witness testimony not consitute evidence in your opinion?

Presumably you consider the only admissable evidence would be the Police finding the poor victim's missing eye and nose in a drawer in the Mr Rahman's house stapled to a note saying "I done it!".

Get real. Another peice of scum put where he belongs. Nice work Met Police and CPS.

moe said:

miss a is saifours lil sister..that is why shes backing him up. go to all the others website where he got banged up. you would see miss a. shes a slag and a hoe

Leave a comment


Type the characters you see in the picture above.

The Wharf The Wharf

Read The Wharf's

E-Editions